THIS was a very disappointing result for St Matt’s who dominated the entire game  but missed a host of chances and didn’t take advantage of the extra man after St Paul’s were reduced the ten men with 20 minutes to go.

St Matt’s opened up the first half with the wind at their backs which helped them dominate St Paul’s although their opponents held firm.

The first chance of the game fell to Tony Catney who under pressure from the defender pushed his shot wide of the post.

The constant threat from Seany McVeigh had the visiting defence in a panic and he was very unlucky not to break the deadlock when his shot stopped dead on the line in the bog of a six yard box as the first half ended scoreless.

With the harsh words of manager Shields still ringing in their ears,  St Matt’s looked even more dangerous in the second half with Steven Black getting in behind the visiting defence only to see his shot brilliantly saved by the ‘keeper.

With time running out and St Paul’s down to 10 men,  manager Shields put all his chips on the table throwing on three attacking players in Seamus Fitzsimons, Sean McMahon and Conor Burns for Sean Coleman, J Murdock and Sean McVeigh.

For all St Matts’ possession and chances the game finished 0-0.

St Matt’s: R Lavery, L Pollock, S Coleman (capt), P Turley, J Murdock, L Prigent, S Black, K Curran, S Napier, S McVeigh. Subs: S Fitzsimons, S McMahon, C Burns.

St Matt’s II                                        4

Sparta                                                1

THIS was another great team performance exemplified by team captain John Michael Ward who contributed  two goals and one assist to the game, making sure St Matt’s beat a very good Sparta side.

St Matt’s started really well and were unlucky not to take the lead in the opening minutes when Paul Smyth was denied by some great goalkeeping.

They eventually took the lead through JM Ward with a brilliantly timed over head kick to leave the visiting keeper rooted to the spot.

It wasn't long after that Anto Meighan grabbed his goal after a long punt up field from brother Chris Meighan was flicked on by Ward to send Meighan through one-on-one and beat the ‘keeper with a great finish.

Sparta replied soon after when a blunder from Michael McVeigh gifted Sparta their only goal of the game. HT 2-1.

With the second half starting as brightly as the first, Curtis McManas got himself onto a cross from Terrance Ward to blast home St Matt’s third of the game.

With the game out of Sparta’s reach, manager Walsh made two subs bringing on Gary Quinn and Matthew Ward for Paul Smyth and Terrance Ward, with Quinn soon getting into the thick of things setting up JM Ward for his second to round off a man-of-the-match display.

St Matt’s II: C Meighan, P Carlisle, P Smyth, C Hargey, M McVeigh, T Ward, D Moylan, C McManus, P Smyth, JM Ward (capt), A Meighan. Subs: M Ward, G Quinn, D Bassett