Folow us on social media

Sign up to our mailing list

Robber targets offie ten minutes after cops leave

By Claire Tennyson

Off licence staff were left reeling this week after a robber targeted their store just ten minutes after police officers investigating a separate burglary earlier that day had left the premises.

The off licence on the Ormeau Road opened for business on Saturday morning as usual and by 10am, three robbers entered the off licence and stole a selection of alcohol.

It is understood two men and a woman came into the shop and carried out a ‘snatch’ taking a few boxes of beer.

Only two hours later, and ten minutes after police left the off licence after investigating the first incident, another robber struck again.

This time a man jumped over the counter and assaulted the member of staff working on the till. A sum of money was handed over and the man made off on foot in the direction of Fitzroy Avenue.

He was described as being in his 20’s or 30’s, of medium build between 5’8” and 5’10” tall.

The business is the latest to be hit in an area plagued with thefts and robberies. Such incidences have been a regular occurrence in recent months with some businesses targeted on a regular basis.

This incident on Saturday was not believed to have involved any weapon however the staff member was assaulted and left badly shaken.

Other incidents along the stretch of road over the past year include numerous shops being held up and attacks on the elderly.

Anyone who may have witnessed the off licence incident is asked to contact CID in Musgrave on 08456008000.

Or, if someone would prefer to provide information without giving their details, they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers and speak to them anonymously on 0800555111.

MEANWHILE Another incident reported to police last week involved a young student who had to jump from his bedroom window to flee a knife-wielding intruder.

The aggravated robbery happened around 11:30am in the Park Road area of South Belfast on Thursday 26.

The 21 year old victim was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital by ambulance with minor injuries before being released.


Please follow and like us:

Tags: , ,