This week’s decision to hold new inquests into the deaths of the ten people killed in the Ballymurphy Massacre has been welcomed by one of the leading campaigners from the McGurk’s families.
On Tuesday (November 15) Attorney General John Larkin ordered new inquests into the deaths of the ten people in Ballymurphy at the hands of British paratroopers in 1971.
Like the McGurk’s families, the Ballymurphy families have been campaigning for years to uncover the truth behind the killings.
Ciarán MacAirt, whose grandmother Kitty Irvine was one of fourteen innocent people killed in the UVF bombing of the North Queen Street bar in 1971, said the Ballymurphy families have been “unrelenting” in their campaign for justice.
“It is only because of a tireless campaign by ordinary families that the inquests have been re-opened,” he said.
“I have had the pleasure of meeting with them at many events from Belfast to Washington DC so I know they are unrelenting in their pursuit of truth”.
Meanwhile, fundraising efforts by some of the McGurk’s families to commemorate the 40th anniversary massacre next month continue tomorrow night (Friday) with an event at the Glen Park bar in Ardoyne.
Alex McLaughlin who lost his father, Thomas in the atrocity, says money raised will go towards a new mural of the bar at North Queen Street.
“We have a great live band lined up and a disco after, so make sure to come early to avoid disappointment. Tickets are only £5 although you can pay at the door. All this money will help us in the final push to finish this fine piece of art which will be the centrepiece of our commemoration on December 4 this year.
“The community has already been very supportive and turned out in droves at the Dockers’ event last month. Judging by the interest we’ve already had for the event in the Glen Park, it will be another great night.”
As well as the entertainment there will also be an exhibition of photographs, archives and newspaper articles that charts the four decades from the moment the bomb exploded, the cover-up in its aftermath and the families’ campaign for truth.
For further details, connect with the campaigners online http://www.themcgurksbarmassacre.com/ where you will also see links to their Twitter and Facebook sites.